A couple of years ago, we had some daffodils in the house, complete bulbs that is, which grew and were lovely. We put the bulbs away in some soil in the hope they would return. They did nothing last year though, and we thought they were doing nothing this year—to the point that we were getting ready to just throw them. However, one of them then produced a little shoot, which has been growing strong, and was joined by a second bulb after a few days. For some reason I’ve been measuring1,2 them a few times per day, tracking their growth!
Edit: Finished: I gave up measuring once they really began wilting. The tips were brown and it was increasingly difficult to measure things. Interesting to see the relatively quick growth at the beginning tapering off to a maximum height. Hopefully there’ll be something to measure next year too!